Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Art of Humanity

As an artist, I sometimes feel like I see things in people that others don't. I could be wrong, maybe everyone sees these things but we all remain silent in the hope that either we are alone in our own personal outlook on life or we fear being judged by others for feeling this way.

I often feel a terrible sadness overcome me when I look at people - friends, loved ones, colleagues and complete strangers. When I look at someone, I often see their humanity - it may be from a shy smile as they are reading a text on the bus, a glimpse of sadness and awkwardness when eating alone mixed with their enjoyment of their cheese and bacon sandwich, a smile turn to sadness from being mocked or dissapointed and it goes on.

The reason why all of this fills me with sadness is once I see it, I hate to think of the fact that there really are so many unbelieveable people in the world, that someday they will feel pain and heartache. Someday they will die.

I am aware of how morbid all of this sounds, I promise not to continue blogging in such a depressing way. This is just something that's part of me and I feel I need to write about it.

It's quite frustrating being someone who looks at the world, at people, in such a way. As I said previously, I am an artist and I have always wanted to be able to transfer my own views of the world on to the canvas - but I get frustrated and instead of painting a beautiful portrait I throw some paint around the canvas and say "It's abstract....you wouldn't understand."

But I'll never stop trying.

1 comment:

Radge said...

Brilliant! Welcome. On the basis of this you're going to be out-writing me soon. You are a thunder-stealer, Elmo.

I'm turning my hand to portraiture.